Thursday 25 July 2019

Eunonymus Fortunei ' Minimus'

This plant was purchased (eightpack) and planted early May on different parts of the layout. It is mentioned as a low, evergreen ground covering creeper with small green leaves.

According to several websites this plant will grow even in difficult situations like steeps banks and that is perfect as I noticed my garden is not an easy one. The multi-stemmed plant will have quit a large spread and it will have some very small yellow flowers in June and July.

I was not sure about the height of the plant as the package from the garden center mentioned that it will become 20-30 cm in height as the information I got from various websites mentioned the "Minimus" would become only 10 cm high (which I would prefer).
Just see how it grows and see what it will become.

May 2019

July 2019

For this moment I noticed that the plant really needs a well drained soil as most of the eight planted has a dry brown look after a period of warm and sunny weather in June. To be honest, I could only find 5 of the 8 plants back...
I removed the dried out stamps and added new fresh soil. Hopefully they will recover. Some of the plants are planted in spots between 2 concrete roadbeds (15 cm wide at minimum) so I have to give these special attention during sunny weather. I also placed 5 mm thin strips of foam underfloor sheets as borders to prevent water flowing of from the flowerbeds between the stones. These borders help significantly to keep the soil less dry. Unfortunately they don't look very nice so I have to find ways to camouflage them.

July 2019 Same spot as picture from May, but now taken from straight above. Sedum at the left.

July 2019 Two plants looking dangerously dry...

July 2019 This one looks a bit better. Gray foam border visible between the rocks.


-o-


No comments: