Thursday 12 September 2019

Building a center-balcony carriage - part I

The three-point-suspension experiment formed a nice base to begin with for scratch-building a new carriage for my railway. The idea is a freestyle center balcony carriage as I liked the bit different design.

As I did not had any detailed drawings of such a carriage the build itself is trail and error, seeing what looks right or not. I used sketches and pictures of similar carriages to form an idea. An LGB carriage was used a bit as guideline and comparison (for instance the width and height of the coach, the coach bottom height, coupler height etc.) so it would fit in nicely with the existing stock.

Initially I tried to build the coach from only balsa but this was not a success. The 2mm balsa was too weak and brittle and although it can be cut very easily I did not manage to cut out very exact parts.  The solution isfound on using thin polystyrene sheets (I believe 0,5 mm) combined with the balsa. First I draw the parts on the polystyrene sheet and cut it to size. Than gluing the sheet on the balsa with contact glue (Bison Transparent) and cut the balsa following the outlining of the polystyrene parts.
Planking was scraped in the polystyrene using an old but sharp little electronica screwdriver. Of course you can also glue strips of polystyrene or use special siding sheets from for instance Evergreen.









Comparison with LGB carriage


This is the result so far. Hopefully an update soon.



On to part II
-o-


No comments: